Have headache. Diagnosed with throat infection. Noticed red bump at the back of tongue. Any thoughts?

Jan 2013

Hi Dr, it all started 2weeks ago with a very mild headache. i bought some tablets for headache but it didnot help. So i went to the Doc, he checked my throat and said i ve got an infection and he gave me pain Killers and said its an infection that may last for 3 weeks. So, yesterday, i felt a crawling feeling under my sculp and i also discovered some red bumps at the back of my tongue. Now my neck feels abit tight under my chin its abit tight to swallow but not painful. What Kind of infection is this? I never experienced a combination of stuff like this before. Please inform me. Thanx
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 13 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated details along with mentioned.
Do you have any aggravating or relieving factor for this headache?
What is the type of headache?
Do you have associated tears and running nose/ fever/ cough?
Do you have past history of injury?
Since how many days this headache is persisting?

There are at least 15-20 types of headache have been defined and diagnosis is made generally on the basis of history defined by patient.
With the available described symptoms, there appears to be possibility of upper respiratory tract viral infection with associated myalgia and headache.

Myalgia (muscle ache) is a prodromal integral symptom of viral infection and neck pain could be due to associated myalgia.

Red bumps at the back of tongue are actually collection of lymphoid tissue which is called as Adenoids.
Adenoids helps in controlling microbial infection by engulfing microorganisms.
These adenoids acts as a guard and prevents from infections.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ ENT surgeon and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for complete blood count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, CT/ MRI scan of head and chest x XXXXXXX

Treatment depends on exact diagnosis.
Meanwhile, you should take complete antibiotic therapy (to prevent secondary bacterial infection), decongestants and anti-inflammatory medicines on written prescription from your local doctor.
You should also perform gargles three times in day; a glass of lukewarm water with a pinch of salt.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Have headache. Diagnosed with throat infection. Noticed red bump at the back of tongue. Any thoughts? 1 hour later
I have no tears, no running nose, no cough and no fever. I go to work as usual and i am very stressed up because i am worried about this infection. Could the pain on my neck(under my chin) be signs of swollen lymph glands?
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 38 minutes later
If swollen lymph nodes are palpable in neck then it could be due to infections.
Neck pain could be a associated symptom of enlarged lymph nodes but neck could not be due to enlarged lymph nodes.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava