Have headace, fatigue, sore throat, cold, sinus problem and diarrhea. Are they related?

Question
I have had a cold and sinus problems going on for about 2 weeks. I have had a headace, fatigue, and sore throat (I'm assuming from all the drainage). I have also had a crampy stomach with mild diarrhea and a noisy stomach for about a week and a half. I only have diarrhea about once a day and it's not really watery, just loose with gas pains. Could the diarrhea be related to the cold?
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later

Are you on any medications for the cold?

Medications like antihistaminics which are common drugs used to control symptoms of cold can cause increased intestinal motility and lead to diarrhea.

Once the medications are stopped the loose stools may stop too. Sometimes it may take time for the intestines to get back to their normal pace.

Do consume fiber XXXXXXX diet or take fiber supplements like Psyllium husk, green leafy vegetables etc which reduces the problem to some extent.

Hope I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Follow-up: Have headace, fatigue, sore throat, cold, sinus problem and diarrhea. Are they related? 38 minutes later
I haven't taken anything at all for the cold. The only thing I use is a humidifier.
Honestly it feels more like a sinus infection possibly from all the pollen. My head, neck, and face hurt horribly. I feel a lot of pressure on the bridge of my nose. I have heard an antibiotic is not needed for a sinus infection or bronchitis anymore. Is this true? I'm just trying to avoid going to the doctor if possible because I don't have insurance.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 0 minute later

Thanks for writing back.

If you have not taken any antihistaminic drugs, then I believe the loose stools you have could be due to some other etiology. Either gastric upset or infections can be the cause for the loose stools here.

There is no relation between the cold and loose stools you have. It’s rare that any infection causing cold symptoms, cause loose stools and that happens with Rhinovirus infection sometimes. Treatment here is symptomatic and need no specific medication.

Do visit your treating doctor who after examining you can identify the exact cause for the loose stools you have.

Wish you good health.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 minutes later

Its not true that antibiotics are not needed in sinus infections. I consider antibiotics play a major role in management.

Do visit your treating doctor for the same.

Meanwhile you can take symptomatic treatments like Benadryl and steam inhalations.

Follow-up: Have headace, fatigue, sore throat, cold, sinus problem and diarrhea. Are they related? 12 minutes later
I have been diagnosed with IBS so maybe it's just flared up because of the stress on my body from the cold or some other strange reason. Thank you for your time.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 17 hours later

Yes, it could be as you suspect.

Wish you good health.