Have hashimoto's hypothyroid. Had a tdap vaccine, supraclavicular lymph nodes became swollen. Is it normal?

Nephrologist
Question
I have Hashimoto's Hypothyroid. I had a tdap vaccine 3 weeks ago. Post tdap, my supraclavicular lymph nodes became swollen. Is this normal? Both supraclavicular nodes are swollen.
Posted Fri, 27 Jul 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later
Hello

Thanks for the query

Supra clavicular lymph nodes enlargement could occur after the vaccination if that is the draining site and also mild infection of the upper respiratory tract post infection is well known which could in turn enlarge the lymph nodes transiently.
The lymph node enlargement is not related to the thyroid issue.
Do not worry about the lymph nodes unless you break into a fever of high grade , they become tender or if the size continues to increase

I hope I have answered your query, if there are no further queries please accept my answer

I wish you good health

Follow-up: Have hashimoto's hypothyroid. Had a tdap vaccine, supraclavicular lymph nodes became swollen. Is it normal? 12 hours later
The Tdap was given on XXXXXXX 19th, and it is now July 7th, is that a normal period of time for the lymph nodes to be swollen post vaccination? I have concern that I have no fevers, no night sweats, no chills, just swollen supraclavicular lymph nodes. Every website I read points to them being cancerous most of the time. I am just a little worried and my doctor's appointment isn't for 4 more days.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 3 hours later
Hello

Thanks for the query

Lymph nodes take 4 to 6 weeks to get back to normal depending upon how bad the infection was.
I would like to add at this point that in the neck region the lymph node is considered significant only if it is more than 1 cm in size.
Most of the times it is lympadenitis that causes enlargement of lymph nodes rather than cancer but if it grows in size, becomes tender or matted please approach a doctor immediately for a biopsy.

I hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to clarify further doubts if you have any

I wish you good health