Have hard, pea-sized lump at the base of right thumb. What to do?

Hard, pea-sized lump at the base of my right thumb (anterior), in line with the outside edge of the index finger (above the fleshy part of the thumb).
Not painful. I just noticed it, as if it formed quickly. No other s/s.

49 y/o male. 5'8" 150, good health.

Follow up with Dr.? Monitor it? Get my affairs in order? Demon/Alien?
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 39 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

This sounds like a ganglion cyst. These can form randomly at the base of joints in the hand.

Generally this is something that we just observe. If for some reason the cyst causes an impediment to activity or pain - a consult with a hand surgeon would be indicated for consideration of removal of the cyst.

Again this is my impression - not a substitute for a good physical exam. Check an Internet search on ganglion cysts and see what you think.

Let me know if I can e of any additional assistance.

Dr Galamaga