Ask a Dentist   »  

Have hard, painless movable lump in front of ear. Tmj not fixed by braces. Prognosis?

For the last 10 years or so I've had a hard, painless, movable lump in front of my left ear. I've had tmj my whole life which braces didn't even fix. My jaw sits to the left, but recently my left ear has been hurting but when the dr checks my ear looks fine. The bump has grown in size from pea size to the size of a m&m. Is this something I should get checked out? I look online but it's freaking me out! I'm scared it cancer!!
It's right in front of the ear where the jaw and skull XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in TMJ
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 48 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

As per the details provided, your temporomandibular joint is dislocated and thereby it deviates to the left side.

The lump may be aroused due to osteoarthritis of jaws.

Usually associated symptoms are-

Clicking and snapping in the TMJ.
Pain is not necessarily associated.
Limitation of motion or ankylosis rarely occurs.

Direct clinical examination like inspection, palpation of the lump will reveal the condition.

I would suggest you to visit an oral-maxillofacial surgeon whenever feasible.

Direct clinical examination as well as x-rays like OPG will help to rule out the condition.

Avoid mouth opening too widely.

Intake of chewing of hard, solid food should be limited at the affected site.

This condition is treated by-

Reduction of a dislocated condyle is accomplished by inducing relaxation of the muscles and then guiding the head of condyle under the articular eminence into its normal position by an inferior and posterior pressure of the thumbs in the mandibular molar area.

Relaxation is usually brought about by means of general anaesthesia or by tiring the masticatory muscles by cupping the chin in the palm of the hand and applying a posterior and superior pressure for 5-10 minutes.

Antibiotics and analgesics have to be administered as per surgeon's prescription.