Have hard lump under collarbone and abdomen. Looking like pimple. Should I go for medical check up?

Question
I am asking on behalf of my husband, who has had a hard(ish) lump just under his left collarbone for the past few years. It started out looking like a pimple, and then just got larger and harder (although not bony in feeling) and he plays with it all the time and refers to it affectionately as his 'third nipple' He now has a similar looking pimple down on his abdomen, which is not going away (he has had it for three weeks). He has seen two GPs who glanced at it briefly and told him not to worry, it was only a cyst. His father is currently suffering from non-hodgkins lymphoma and I am worried this might be the same thing. Where should I get him to go to be checked out or biopsied?
Posted Sat, 1 Sep 2012 in Lymphoma

Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 2 hours later

If "generally healthy" that you have mentioned in the medical history means that your husband has not other symptoms, I agree with those two GPs and you should not worry.

Not each lump (pimple) should be biopsied and the fact that his father is currently suffering from non-hodgkins lymphoma does not mean that he has to suffer from the same thing.

Also, the way you have described the lump and the pimple does not suggest any kind of lymphoma, so my advice is to calm down and only if he has new symptoms, he should be checked further.

If you have any more queries, feel free to ask.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD

Follow-up: Have hard lump under collarbone and abdomen. Looking like pimple. Should I go for medical check up? 37 minutes later
If we decide to get the bigger one biopsied, where would be the best place to go? Our GP? a dermatologist? an oncologist?

Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 7 minutes later

Thanks for your reply.

If you decide to get the bigger one biopsied, I recommend you to go to a dermatologist.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD

Follow-up: Have hard lump under collarbone and abdomen. Looking like pimple. Should I go for medical check up? 1 minute later
Thank you very much for your feedback.

Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 32 minutes later
You're welcome.

At your disposal,

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD