Have hard lump on the top of skull. No pain or itching. Experience quick sharp pains. What can this be?

Oncologist, Surgical
I have a hard lump on the top of my skull towards the back that has been there for 10 to 15 years. It is about on quarter inch in length and height. No pain or itching. It is solid and I can not move it. Lately I have experience quick sharp pains in the area around the lump....can you tell me what it is....?
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Calcified sebaceous cyst or benign bone tumor

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Sorry to hear about your problem. The lump which you are describing could either be a sebaceous cyst, which has hardened (calcified) over the years or a benign bone tumor (if it is very hard). As it has been present for so long, there is no reason to worry about it. You should visit a surgeon, if it starts to grow in size. if you are very apprehensive about the diagnosis at present, you can get a simple needle test (FNAC) to confirm the diagnosis.

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query.