Have hard lump on penis, told to have cyst. Suggestion?

Dec 2012

I have a strange lump on my penis, I am able to provide a closeup picture of the lump as it is extremely hard to describe. I went to the dermatologist and told me I had a cyst, but I do not believe cysts grow in patches. It's slowly been growing on the right side of my penis.
Posted Sat, 14 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
pearly penile papules which are harmless

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

Even though I actually found it hard to differentiate the lesions from the rest of the penis shaft, it is possible that you are having penile papules or angiofibromas which are not harmful and do not require any treatment. You might feel a little awkward or embarrassed about it but be rest assured that they are normal in about 20% of males. How ever, if they become itchy, sore or painful, then it is indication that there is a serious problem which needs to be treated medically. As you rightly mentioned, it will be rare for cyst to develop, so tiny and multiple on the penis shaft.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: Have hard lump on penis, told to have cyst. Suggestion? 2 hours later
The lumps used to not be there which is my concern, after intercourse they can become red and irritated and then painful when touched. It's extremely embarrassing for a guy my age. Will they go away over time? Is there anything I can do?
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
if irritated after sex then it is a problem

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for updating. If these lesions are irritated and painful then it is a cause for concern amd will require medical treatment. It is possible this might be due to fungi or bacterial infection. You might require a cream that has a combination of antifungi + antibacteria + steroid to apply daily and maybe take oral doxycycline but since most of them are prescription drugs you will need to see a doctor (dermatologist is preferable). You can get the creams over the counter (a pharmacist can help with that if yiu tey to describe the type of lesions you are having). If you are having unprotected sex i suggest you get screened for STD.

Hope this helps further
Dr. Nsah