Have hard lump on forearm. Diagnosed with lipoma. Looking for second opinion

Hello I am a healthy 28 year old male. I saw a dermatologist about 5 years ago because I had a lump on my left forearm. He told me it is a lipoma and to ignore it. I just want a second opinion. It has been there for over 5 years, but it does not hurt or bother me. If it is strictly cosmetic, I don't care to have it removed. But if it is a hazard to my health then I think I should. I just want a second opinion. I notice there are about 4 or 5 other similar bumps on my body. They are in similar and symmetrical places, but they are not as big as the one on my forearm. There is one on each side of my abdomen, and one on each lower leg around the XXXXXXX area, and possibly one more on my upper leg.
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kruti 7 days later

I can understand your concern.

Lipoma are benign skin tumours. They cause no harm. Apart from the bumps there is no discomfort to the person having them. They are of cosmetic significance.

Very very rarely they can turn malignant. But in these cases there are visible changes on the skin.

This article is for your reference.

In your case they seem completely benign. However, I would like to inform you that it its difficult to diagnose a lipoma just based on your description. One would need to examine it and confirm the diagnosis. I would recommend visiting a dermatologist to confirm the diagnosis.

The treatment for it would be excision of the lipoma. In case you don't want to get then removed, you can leave them alone without any problem.

Hope these recommendations are helpful to you.

Please let me know if I can address any other concern for you.