Have hard, itchy, slightly raised bumps on inner thigh. What could this be?

I have some hard, itchy, slightly raised bumps on one spot on one inner thigh that form a circle. What could this be?
Posted Mon, 22 Oct 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Kruti 1 hour later
I will be glad to be of assistance.
I would like to request you to post a photo here of the skin lesions. It would be very useful in making an appropriate diagnosis. Please let me know if it would be possible.You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better. Alternatively, you may mail it to me at YYYY@YYYY with subject as “ Attention to Dr. Kruti”.
Awaiting your response.
Follow-up: Have hard, itchy, slightly raised bumps on inner thigh. What could this be? 23 hours later
I can't send a photo as I don't have a digital camera but I can further describe it: It is small, hard, red lesions, 7 or 8 bumps, in a circle the size of a silver dollar. The skin in the center is fine. The lesions don't itch unless I scratch them. They might have hard hairs in the middle, perhaps from shaving? Have been present for a few weeks. They do not express any pus or fluid. Do not look like impetigo. The skin blanches a little when pressed. Whatever information you provide is fine and will be helpful.
Answered by Dr. Kruti 5 hours later
Hi and thanks for the information.

Based on your description, the 2 possibilities that I can think of are:
1. Ringworm i.e. a fungal infection
2. Eczema

The treatment for both is different:
- For the ringworm I would recommend lamisil cream twice a day for 2 weeks.
- For the eczema application of cortisone cream twice a day for 2 weeks.

Though both are available over the counter, it would be ideal if you can confirm the condition via a competent dermatologist. We can start treatment once the cause is confirmed.

If a direct consultation isn't feasible, the next option would be to start application of lamisil for a week; if there is an improvement, you can continue it for one more week. In case there is no improvement in a week with lamisil, then you can start with cortisone cream.

Do not start both the medications simultaneously.

Hope this helped. Please let me know if you have more queries.