Have hard cyst at base of penis. It will bleed and cure when hair is pulled. Should I be concerned?

Thank you, Hello I have hard cyst like pimples in my pubic area, or base of my penis where the hair is. When I pull out the hairs from that area the pimple will bleed, dry, and cure over time. I had protected sex about 1 month ago. I would like to know what is going on. Thank you
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 15 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The most common worry when lesions occur in the genital region is sexually transmitted infection. The most common sexually transmitted infections are herpes, chlamydia, gonorrhoea, syphilis, HIV and hepatitis B.
Sexually transmitted infections in men may have no symptoms in some cases or present with burning on urination, penile discharge , rash and pain in herpes (these would be blisters that rupture), ulcer and aches and pain(in syphilis)

With a history of lesions occurring at the base of the penis where the hair is occurring it is likely that it is related to the hair follicles. Folliculitis is inflammation or infection of the hair follicles and would present with pustule lesions like you are describing.
They may resolve on their own or require the use of anti septic or anti bacterial creams. Folliculitis can also progress to involve the surrounding tissue, in this case an abscess may form.

it can be avoiding by cleaning the area with an antiseptic solution such as dilute betadine or dilute hydrogen peroxide before shaving or removing hairs.
Some persons use anti bacterial creams to hasten resolution.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Have hard cyst at base of penis. It will bleed and cure when hair is pulled. Should I be concerned? 2 hours later
Thank you for the information Dr Gibson XXXXXXX I will go to the Dr. and get screened and I may have questions regarding this matter in the future. If I do have a follow up question will it get sent to you or another Dr? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
You can ask any additional questions that you wish, feel free