Have hard cataract in eye. Should I go for an operation?

I have a mature ,hard cataract in one eye . The other eye is near perfect. I am 74 years old. I am not very inconvenienced by the cataract...Do you think I should risk having the operation...I am quite happy to continue as I am
and feel I may set off a chain of events if I undergo what may be a more than normal cataract operation.
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Congratulations on maintaining excellent health. Regarding cataracts - the surgical management of this type of condition is very simple and usually does not have any significant risk. There is a minor risk with any type of anesthesia of course but in your case I would expect that you would perform well without any major problem.

As with any surgery you would need to obtain clearance from your primary care doctor before going forward. I really don't see any significant risk and the real benefit of a cataract surgery is quite dramatic. When the cataract is removed a prosthetic lens is put in place which will help to restore your vision to almost completely normal.

Thanks again for sending a question. Please do not hesitate to ask any additional follow-up questions if you have them.

Dr. Robert