Have hard bump on head above spine. Tender to touch. Suffering from migraine. Should I be concerned?

I have a hard bump on the back of my head right above the spine that's fills the space between my neck and is fairly noticeable.. it makes my whole neck stiff and is tender to the touch.. and behind my right ear I have a hard lump protruding off the bone it's maybe the size of a pea, which is a few months old... also I suffer from severe migraines but since this lump I haven't had a really bad one which is not normal since they are not controlled... instead I have a radiating pain coming from the bump behind my neck... should I be concerned? I'm not sure if it's relevant but, my MRIs always come back with: "again seen is the focus of hyperintense T2 signal within the left frontal centrum semiovale measuring 8mm" would you happen to know what that is about because my doctors avoid the question. Thank you for your time.
Posted Sun, 14 Oct 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 1 hour later

Pea sized lump around the neck (back of the neck and behind ears) are usually lymph nodes, however since there is radiating pain coming from the neck, it suggests that there may be compression over the nerves in the neck area. Besides that as the lump is tender and there is another one which has appeared recently, it needs evaluation.

If last scan was done before the appearance of these lumps then it will have to be repeated with a focus on the cervical spine.

The repeatedly occurring MRI finding is most likely something which is not to be worried about. MRI done for many normal people may reveal such Hyperintense T2 signals which are of no consequences.
At the moment you do need evaluation of the swellings and radiating pain.

Hope this answers your query. If you have any more queries, I will be happy to answer.

Good luck!!!
Follow-up: Have hard bump on head above spine. Tender to touch. Suffering from migraine. Should I be concerned? 6 hours later
Thank you for your response. I just had a few quick questions. If there was a compression of the nerves could that indicate disc problems, and how do those occur? I haven't had any head injury since 2005. When I talk to my doctor I should request just an MRI or is there anything else you think I should look into, ie. labwork, if so what tests. I don't see my neurologist for another 2 weeks is this something I should seek immediate attention for? Thank you again.
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 8 hours later
It is unlikely that the compression in your case is disc related because of the associated history that you gave and your age. Apart from the MRI, other lab work would depend on the examination done by the doctor. If it is really a lymph node, many investigations may be needed.
If the swellings are growing quickly and pain is significant then waiting for 2 weeks is not advisable. You should be looked at by a general physician as soon as it is possible.
Let me know if you have any other concerns.
Good luck.