Have haemorrhoids. CT scan showed diverticulitis. Reason of having string of blood in stool?

May 2014

I ate Wendys today which I never do and used the bathroom. There was a bright red string of blood seperate from the stool. There was a little bit of blood on the beginning piece of the stool and blood on the toilet paper when I wiped. I do have hemmorhoids and was told I have Diverticulosis after a CT scan but what is the string of blood.I never eat greasy foods and the hamburger was very greasy. No pain either.
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please find detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.

Diverticulosis is a condition that develops when pouches (diverticula camera) form in the wall of the colon (large intestine camera). These pouches are usually very small (5 to 10 millimeters) in diameter but can be larger.

In diverticulosis, the pouches in the colon wall do not cause symptoms. Diverticulitis happens when feces get trapped in the pouches (diverticula). This allows bacteria to grow in the pouches. This can lead to inflammation or infection.

Symptoms of diverticulitis may last from a few hours to a week or more. Symptoms include:

Lower abdominal pain, usually in the lower left side, that is sometimes worse when you move. This is the most common symptom. Other symptoms include:
Fever and chills.
Bloating and gas.
Diarrhea or constipation.
Nausea and sometimes vomiting.
Not feeling like eating.

If you do not have above symptoms, it is unlikely to be a complication of diverticulosis.

If the blood is bright red it is coming from the very end of the digestive track: anus, rectum, etc. Have you been constipated or have large stools? or have you had diarrhea? Many times bright red blood in the stool and on the paper is a result of a annal fissure or tear due to the above. These can also occur higher in up such as in the rectum or very end of the intestinal tract.

An anal fissure is an unnatural crack or tear in the skin of the anus, usually extending from the anal opening.An anal fissure is most often found right on the midline of the anus, following the natural cracks in the area, as this part of the anal wall is relatively unsupported by either muscle or tendon.

Though fissures may be painless, most people experience some amount of pain from the condition, and it usually gets worse during a bowel movement. Another of the common fissure symptoms is itching and irritation around the anus.

Symptoms of an anal fissure are bright red blood on underwear, in toilet water, or on toilet paper, and severe sharp pain in the area when any kind of pressure is applied.A fissure is a cut in the body, but they do not generally have the distinctively lumpy feel of a hemorrhoid, mostly an anal fissure is a tear in the anus, while a Hemorrhoid is a lump in the anus.

However, as fissures and hemorrhoids share quite a few causes in common, they are frequently found together.

If you experience any bleeding from the anus or rectum, you always need to see a doctor as there are several life-threatening conditions that also result in anal bleeding.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr. Vivek