Have had tubes tied. Missing periods. Is there any chances for cancer?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi I have my tubes tied I was just wondering why my period would be almost two weeks late?
I am scared and I need some answer as soon as it can be managed, I hope it isn't cancer or something serious please try to answer me asap
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 31 minutes later
hi,

delay in periods could be because of many factors like,

-stress and strain, weight loss, recent illness etc factors which can affect hypothalamo-pituitary-ovarian axis leading to delayed periods,

-in disorders like poly cystic ovarian disease due to hormonal imbalance delayed periods can occur,

-general factors like anemia, thyroid disorders etc can also cause this,

-rarely because of failure of tubectomy pregnancy can occur.

it is very rare to have cancer like cause to this, usually malignancies will present with bleeding that could be heavy or inter menstrual etc, so you don't worry about it.

now you visit local gynecologist undergo physical examination, ultrasound and if needed hormonal evaluation which will possibly find out the cause for your delayed periods and treatment can be taken accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Have had tubes tied. Missing periods. Is there any chances for cancer? 9 minutes later
I don't have XXXXXXX insurence is it really nessecary to see a doctor for this? I don't know of where to go oi don't make a lot of money either so it is hard for me

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
hi,

then you go for urine pregnancy test, the kit you can buy on counter, if that comes negative, you wait for one more week possibly by that time you can get periods,
if you do not get periods even after one week you can go for withdrawal bleeding with progesterone tablets like medroxyprogesterone 10mg twice a day for 5 days or regesterone 5 mg thrice a day for 5 days etc preferably with your doctor's advice after general examination.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.