Have had tubes tied. Getting faint positive pregnancy test. Should I be concerned?

I had my tubes tied 20 months ago, I had a faint positive pregnancy test last friday and a mixture of faint positives and negative test since then. I am now 4 days late. My cervix is now soft and almost swollen feeling where as a week ago it was hard. could i just be getting false negatives and be pregnant? no pain or bleeding either.
Posted Fri, 28 Dec 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

It is extremely uncommon for a tubal ligation to fail, but it does happen. Given that you are late for your period, and you have had some faintly positive pregnancy tests, there is definitely a concern about pregnancy.

That being said, I would expect that IF you were pregnant, that the test would be OBVIOUSLY positive by the time you were 4 days late for your period. Also, given the "mixture of faint positive and negative tests" makes me think that it is more likely that you are NOT pregnant.

If you let a test sit long enough, it will turn to a faint positive (this is usually made clear in the directions for the tes).

Here is what I would recommend:
1. Do not panic
2. Assume that you are probably NOT pregnant, but this is not 100%
3. Go in Monday for a BLOOD pregnancy test - this will confirm whether you are pregnant or not, 100%.

I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have any followup questions!