Have had tubal ligation. Noticed dark ring around neck. Could it be due to early menopause?

I am 28. I have had a tubal 6 yrs ago. i seem to be in early menopause. Now i have a brown right.g around my neck like its dirty. i do shower and wash it but it doesn't go away. Could it ne due to the early menopause?
Posted Sun, 23 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Kappan 5 hours later

I understand your concern. The usual condition which comes as a dark ring around the neck is 'Acanthosis Nigricans'. It is often related to insulin resistance.

Obesity has been closely associated with insulin resistance and hence the ring may also be linked to the excess body weight.

Apart from that, other conditions which can cause it includes - hormonal imbalance, diabetes, excessive sweating, eczema, etc. You will need a careful local examination and battery of investigations that include blood sugar and hormonal work up to narrow down the possibility.

Since the hyper-pigmentation around the neck, I favour the possibility of Acanthosis nigricans. As you plan a visit to a dermatologist it is important now to have an improved life style with Diet modification and regular exercise.

Hope I have been able to address your concern. Let me know if you have other concerns.