Have had tingling in mouth. Blood test fine. Which specialist should I consult?

Nov 2013

I have had tingling in my mouth for 8 months. It is constant, sometimes worse and sometimes better. I asked my dentist and he said it was difficult to say. I asked my internist and he ran a blood test for deficiencies but that was OK. They are both done. What kind of Dr. might be able to help me? I have read it could be the start of MS or diabetes. I want to be proactive if needed. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 30 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 40 minutes later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.

First of all, let me reassure you that your current symptoms are not suggestive of Multiple sclerosis or any other serious neurological problem.

As your internist thought, the commonest underlying cause of tingling in the mouth could be related to deficiencies. I have noted that in your case, all were normal. Still, I would advise you to take vitamin supplements as they are helpful. Especially, vitamin B12, thiamine, pyridoxine, riboflavin and folic acid.

Regarding symptoms of MS, the main ones are:
1. Diminished vision in one or both eyes,
2. Weakness or numbness of limbs,
3. Imbalance while walking,
4. Urinary disturbances
5. Facial pain

I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (medicine) DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow-up: Have had tingling in mouth. Blood test fine. Which specialist should I consult? 14 minutes later
I'm not sure how to describe it but at times (Not daily) I stumble/get tongue tied and have a very slight slur in my speech. It always seems when to happen when I am multitasking many activities. I guess I was worried it might be related to the tongue tingling.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 41 minutes later
Thank you for getting back with more details.

Again, I don't think the symptom of slur or tongue tie is something to get worried about.

For it to become clinically significant, it should last for a considerable period of time, for at least an hour or so or more. Otherwise, it could be normal or related to anxiety.

I hope it clarifies.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Medicine), DM (Neurology)