Have had tests done for cholesterol. Findings?

May 2014

My HDL is 43 my LDL is 100 Triglycerides are 193 and my total cholesterol is 160, what does it all mean and is it good?
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Test values explained below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I understand that you are taking treatment for hypothyroidism and are obese.

Following is the desired values of Lipid profile (cholesterol numbers) in an adult.

HDL 60 mg/dL (women)
LDL Below 100 mg/dL (Ideal for people at risk of heart disease which includes obesity)
Triglycerides Below 150 mg/dL
Total cholesterol Below 200 mg/dL

Therefore, in your lab results, we find that HDL is marginally below normal, LDL is at upper limits of normal, Triglycerides is borderline high and total cholesterol is good.

As such there is not much to worry regarding any of the values in your report except HDL which should have been at least 50. However these tests are only an indicator of general health and risk of heart disease. It would be important to get your heart parameters like ECG and echocardiography done and that will tell you the heart functionality in a better way. Your obesity also needs to be discussed with your doctor in view of hypothyroidism.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.