Have had swollen lymph node on neck and behind temple. How to get rid of this swollen lymph node?

Hi I have had a swollen lymph nod on right side of neck since 2009 recently it has been accompanied with for the last 2 weeks Wirh a swollen tender scalp Just above right ear behind temple
Posted Tue, 16 Oct 2012 in Lymphoma
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 31 minutes later

I would like to know some more information on your problem to understand better and opine specifically.

How big is the lymph node in neck ?
Did you notice any sudden increase in the size of the node since 2009 ?
Did you have any trauma to the scalp involved ?
Are there any lymph nodes swollen in any other parts of the body?

Waiting for your response,
Follow-up: Have had swollen lymph node on neck and behind temple. How to get rid of this swollen lymph node? 1 hour later
I did attend my GP who advised the nod transport bacteria or gunk that may be from a recent head cold I accepted this however it has never disappeared it never used to be there before. I have noticed that occasionally it is larger than the size it usually is which I'd the size of a pea and I can move it in a circular motion with my finger the tender experience above my ear is 2 to 3 cm above top of ear last week I was able to tell it was swollen from top of ear up words and today it kind of feels lumpy from the top of the ear which is attached to my right side of face and it carries on behind the ear of this point I have not bangs my head I woke up and noticed the tenderness when I went to brush my hair his has been for a period of two weeks now and the tenderness is painful when touched other than that there is mother pain on my head. I have not notice any other lymph nods however I'm unsure where they are located but def no other nods round location of my neck
Or Maybe temporal arteritis as my scalp in this area became tender and sore all of a sudden discovered from brushing hair this area feels lumpy now. 2 week ago the area only felt swolen. 1 week ago this area felt swollen on the temple at top of ear the and tenderness mainly concerned in this area reaching 2to3cm up right side of head. Today area above ear feels lumpy? I'm not having head aches scalp very tender.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 15 hours later

Thanks for the writing back.

The cause for the node in neck can be ascertained by a FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) of the node itself.Here a small amount of the material from the node is extracted by a needle , then the material subjected to microscopic examination.This gives clear idea about the node and its cause.

Yes, the scalp tenderness you have could be arteritis.Since you do not have the typical symptoms like vision disturbance and headache seen in Temporal arteritis, the condition cannot be diagnosed as temporal arteritis.It could be an non specific inflammation of one of the scalp arteries which could be due to infection of immune process.

Anti inflammatories like Ibuprofen can reduce the inflammation and provide you relief.Do take Tab Motrin 400 mg twice daily after food for three days.This may help.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you speedy recovery.