Have had swollen glands and sinus congestion. Getting sharp pain in ears. Should I start amantadine?

ENT Specialist
I have had swollen glands( neck) and sinus congestion for 2 days now and the glands have become itchy and i ger occassional sharp pains in my ears. My mucus output from sinus' is mostly cloudy with an occassional yelliw tinge. I have a refill for amantadine should i start taking it?
Posted Fri, 31 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 34 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Your present symptoms are only since a couple of days.

2. Cloudy and occasionally yellow mucus from the sinuses means an allergy or mild infection (swollen neck nodes). Do you have fever? The occasional sharp ear pains will require a check up of the ears. If the ears are normal, this is usually a referred pain from the throat (common nerve supply).

3. Amantadine is not recommended.

4. The simplest course of action will be a course of anti-allergics (also control itching), mucolytics, steam inhalation and medicated gargles. Antibiotics, anti-inflammatory agents may be added if the pain is severe or there is fever.

5. I must emphasize that you should take treatment only under medical supervision.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.