Have had surgery for cuft tear. Getting pain in shoulder. Should I go for MRI?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have pain in my shoulder I lift a lot a my job and have had surgery on my right shoulder for a cuft tear and afraid I have the same on my left shoulder my doctor suggested the shot and I am just wondering if this is a waste of time and money or do I need to go ahead with an MRI?
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 29 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query

From description it seems you might develop rotator cuff tendinitis/ tear on left shoulder.

You need a thorough physical examination of a shoulder deals with a systematic approach constituting inspection, palpation, range of motion, strength testing, and neurological testing. The shoulder will be examined to see whether it is tender in any area or whether there is a deformity. Since most cervical pain is commonly mistaken for shoulder pain, the physical examination should include a thorough assessment of the cervical spine in order to eliminate other contradictions such as a "pinched nerve", osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis.

For diagnosing a rotator cuff tear you also need X-ray, MRI and ultrasound techniques. A normal rotator cuff tear usually goes undetected with an X-ray, although bone spurs, which can pinch the rotator cuff tendons and result in a tear, can be captured.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.