Have had stroke and getting headache and have swollen face. What treatment is required?

Hello, my mother had a stroke yesterday, however she is in a private clinic in the Gambia at the moment. I am worried because the health system over there is not very good, and I am trying to find out about her condition to find out if she may need to be transfered somewhere else. She has had very bad headaches for the past three days. Yesterday (around 1pm) she lost her speech and her face swelled. She did not go unconscious, but she needed to be aided to the car to get to hospital. Last night she was able to drink some juice with help. This morning still has mobility and has been able to walk to and from the toilet with the help of another person, however her speech has not come back yet.
I am worried because they say they will not be able to do an MRI scan until Monday (over there it is a national holiday until Monday so they dont have the staff needed for this, and this is the only clinic in the country with an MRI scan facility). From what i have read MRI scans need to be done within 24 hours of being admitted to hospital. My question is, what is the implications of waiting till Monday. Is it a good sign that she is able to walk still, and is not unconscious, or can things still turn for the worse, even though she appears to be stable?

Many thanks
Posted Thu, 15 Nov 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 1 hour later

Since it started with a headache, possibility of bleeding inside the brain is more likely. If MRI is not available at least CT scan should be done in modern practice. Though in resource limited setting, doctors start required treatment based on their experience and it is right most of the times. The fact that she is still walking is definitely a good sign.

Your fear, that even if she is stable she may worsen, is right and that remains a possibility. It would be advisable to keep her in medical supervision till alternate arrangements are made by you.

The basics like blood pressure, sugars should be taken care of.

If you have more queries, I would be happy to answer.
Good luck.