Have had spinal fusion surgery. Have sensitive skin on lower back and upper buttocks. What is the cause and cure?

I have had spinal fusion surgery and at week5 I have skin sensitivity in my very low back hip and upper buttocks area . What causes this and will it go away?
Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Any sensitivity after such an operation can be due to mild nerve compression, that might have not been completely relieved or might have recurred after operation. Such symptoms can get relieved after the inflammation at operative site has resolved and complete healing has taken place. So eventually, we should be looking at relief. The exact time frame cannot be given as it would vary from individual to individual.
In my view there is nothing that needs to done immediately, so wait and watch would be the approach.

I think you should bring this to notice of your doctor. Your doctor will confirm this.

I'd be happy to answer any more questions.