Have had sperm analysis done. What are the diagnosis?

Jun 2015

age 36, male , sperm count =80 million/ml, lquification time 30 min, active motile : 5%, sluggishly motile :35 %, nonmotile 60%, morphology Nor,mal form 60%, abnormal forms 40%, can i try for baby or not
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Decreased sperm motility needs to be managed

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through the sperm analysis report as mentioned in your post.
It reveals:
1. Sperm count is within normal limits (normal is > 15 millions / ml as per WHO 2010).

2. Morphology is within normal limit (as per WHO 2010, normal morphology is > 04%).

3. Motility is below normal limit (as per WHO 2010, normal motility is > 50%).

Motility of the sperm plays an important role in pregnancy as after ejaculation, the sperm has to travel in the female genital tract & fertilize the ovum.
In absence of adequate motile sperms, the process of fertilization does not occur, resulting in failure of conception.

Causes of decreased sperm motility can be:
1. Nutritional factors: deficiency of vitamin C, selenium, zinc and folic acid
2. Endocrine factors: Hormonal imbalance
3. Urological disorder: Varicocele, like Hypertension, Diabetes
5. Miscellaneous causes like Chemotherapy, Obesity, Smoking, Alcohol intake and other environmental factors.

So, it is advisable to consult an Urologist/ Infertility specialist & get a proper clinical examination done.
Investigations like estimation of blood pressure & blood glucose level will be helpful to rule out any systemic cause.
If the sperm motility does not improve even after management, pregnancy can be achieved by IUI (Intrauterine Insemination) & IVF (In Vitro Fertilization) methods.

Hope I have been able to answer your query.
Please let me know if I need to clarify further.

Wishing you a Good Health.