Have had sore throat, cough, headache and feeling tired. History of anxiety and depression. What's wrong?

I have had a sore throat, persistent fruity cough and lethargy and tiredness for about two months. The doctor said a month ago that it was probably just a virus - but it isn't going away. Forgot to mention the constant mild headache.
Forgot to mention vaguely sore ears, dry skin, heavy tired eyes (feel sunken), problems thinking clearly sometimes, forgetful, often don't sleep deeply and wake up tired. I have a history of anxiety and depression but I am not depressed now. I try to use exercise to manage the anxiety. I restrict caffeine to help me sleep - but sometimes I just don't sleep for no particular reason.
Posted Fri, 9 Nov 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 8 hours later

Thank you for your query.

I have noted your complaints and medical history. As you have a number of problems it requires a complete work-up to see that things get under control. The sore throat can be taken care of by:
1. Decongestant medicines
2. Steam inhalation
Your lethargy and tiredness shall improve once your thyroid problems are resolved. The multinodular goitre may be causing hypothyroidism which can explain a number of symptoms described by you.

My advise to you would be to see your doctor who shall examine you and thereafter order appropriate investigations for your following ailments:
1. Autoimmune issues - rheumatoid arthritis or lupus or something else
2. Kidney impairment
3. Multinodular goitre

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you require any clarifications or would like to share more facts regarding the problems being faced by you.

Wishing you all the best..