Have had sore throat, cold and breathing difficulty. No relief from erythromycin. Effective cure?

I have had a sore throat and cold('flu)for the last few days.
Unfortunately,when I lie down on my back,my throat starts gurgling and within a few seconds I start coughing
and cannot breath.
I don't know what to do as I cannot get any sleep.I cannot sit up straight all night long to sleep.
I have been prescribed erythromycin,which I have taken for last 2 days.
Please help.

Thank you.

Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Mamun Kabir 2 hours later
Welcome to healthcare magic.
I am very sad for your condition. The sore throat may be due to viral or bacterial.
In some case the lymph nodes within the oropharyngeal cavity(eg-tonsil) become enlarged.
The enlarged lymph node may causes irritation & cough. The airway may be be narrowed with posture change due to the same problem. As a result patient may feel discomfort in breathing.
Take plenty of warm fluid.
Gargle with salt mixed warm water.
It will help you a lot.
Continue your medication. You may take paracetamol for the pain.
I think I have been helpful about your query.