Have had sore throat. Have pain and wheezing. Feels like tonsils are huge. Suggest?

I've had a sore throat for a couple days. I woke up in the middle of the night w lots of pain and am almost wheezing a little. It feels like my tonsils are huge. I was able to swallow a few sips of water. Is this an emergency?
Posted Fri, 2 Aug 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

It is not unusual to have a lot of pain in the throat with a bout of upper wheezing and difficulty in breathing then it is advised to seek medical help. In the interim you can have some decongestant tablet to give you relief in your throat.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal