Have had small round dark purple bruise appears on arms. Sometimes take Advil. Suggest?

For the last few months I have had about once a month, a small round dark purple bruise appears on my arms. They are round, flat and about pea sized. I don't think they are due to injury. I also have had some increase in other bruising I do sometimes take Advil, but don't take it every day.
Posted Wed, 4 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You might have to consult a Hematologist.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

I think you should be reassured that this certainly is not actually due to thyroid disease.

Easy bruising usually presents with an option of possible causes. Low platelet count and bleeding disorders like Hemophlia and most common. Hemophilia will be very unlikely in your case since you are female. Other diseases like Von Willebrand s disease, clotting factor deficiency, Vitamin K deficiency should be appropriately explored.

Easy bruising if properly diagnosed by your primary care physician , it s normal practice to refer you to a hematologist for proper investigation and management.

I suggest you book an appointment with a hematologist for a proper clinical review and in depth evaluation. Thanks and kind regards. Feel asking further questions if need be.

Bain LE, MD.