Have had sharp pain in groin, bone is sore. Had ultrasound. Findings?

General Surgeon
For 6 mo I have had sharp pain in rt. groin. I felt no lump but the bone is sore on rt side. I had an ultra sound on 9-25-13. The record of the test states, "fat containing rt. groin lymph nodes with alarming features, the largest 3.3 x10.2 x 1 x 6cm and 3.4 x 1.6 x 1.9 cm. Unremarkable lymph nodes.

Is this serious?
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs more investigations to opine on the manageme

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX ! Good evening. I am Dr Shareef, a general surgeon answering your query.

Your ultrasound report as mentioned in your text is a bit confusing. In the first sentence it mentions alarming groin lymph nodes of different sizes and the next sentence quotes unremarkable lymph nodes, both of which are contradictory to one another.

Anyways, from the size of the groin lymph nodes, if I would have been your treating doctor, after some routine investigations, would have gone for a FNAC(fine needle aspiration cytology) followed by an excisional biopsy if inconclusive for the biggest lymph node. Further management would depend on the histology report. If it comes out to be infective, then treatment of the source of infection with appropriate antibiotics would be suffice.Otherwise, management will differ depending on the report. Some supporting radiological investigations like CT or MRI may also be necessary in due course.

As I feel, for this test to be done, you have to visit a general surgeon in your area or hospital OPD services, who will examine you clinically before deciding on any further management.

I hope I have answered your query. If there is any other doubt, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks for choosing the XXXXXXX forum for your health query. Good luck.