Have had sharp pain in belly button. What could be causing this?

General Surgeon
Hi -- I have had sharp pain in my belly button (only when I press it...I know, I know...then don't press it!) for about four months. It has spread to just right of my belly button -- about two inches higher and to the right (there is a very tender spot when I press it). Which organ is located there? I am a 36 year old female with two kids. Thoughts?
Posted Thu, 22 Nov 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

The area you are pressing contains gallbladder and stomach. There is nothing unusual that when you press this area, it does hurt. It can be a sign of disease but it doesn't have to. Most probable diseases corresponding to your symptoms are gallstones and peptic ulcer. If you also suffer from pain after a meal, heartburning it can be peptic ulcer. If you suffer from pain in this area which is sometimes radiating to the back, gallstones are possible.
Sometimes in this hurting area may be a liver when enlarged due to liver diseases.
The best way to make sure if there is any reason of your symptoms is to make abdominal ultrasound and fool blood work with liver and pancreas tests.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.