Have had sex. Had blood afterwards, but on depo shots. Chances of pregnancy?

Mar 2016

hi my gf and i had sex, and the day after she said she had blood in her underwear, but she is on the depo shot, i want to know if she is pregnant or not plz help me
Posted Thu, 30 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 35 minutes later

First of all, Depo-shot is very much effective in preventing unwanted pregnancy and to be taken once in 3 months. It has failurerate less than 0.3 per HWY. But there are several side effects like irregular spotting or bleeding, amenorrhoea for long time, prolonged infertility after discontinuation, wt change, headache etc.

Following sex, vaginal bleeding/ spotting is quite common among most of the women. It may be due to local trauma following rough sex, tear of hymen, hormonal imbalance, effect of depo (as she used) etc. The bleeding stops automatically within 1-2 days and you have nothing to worry.

If bleeding (heavy) continues more than 3 days, she needs pelvic examination and some relevant investigation after consultation with gynecologist.

It is quite impossible to detect pregnancy in the early time (the day after sex). She needs to wait for next coming period. If her period delays more than 7 days, she can do one home pregnancy test with urine or blood test for beta-HCG to exclude pregnancy.

Hope, this information is quite helpful to you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish her good health. All the best.

Dr Soumen