Have had severe pain in knee. Tried rest, ice packs and elevation. No improvement. Advise?

I have had severe pain in my knee for a week. I am 77 years old woman and was sitting in a cramped position in a car on a five hour trip over a week ago. I have tried rest, ice packs and elevation. No improvement.
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
The knee joint is the largest joint of body and has a complex XXXXXXX structure of two semiround condyles held in position by fleshy semilunar cartilage on each and the cruciate ligaments and other Ligaments and muscles.
Traveling with awkward posture/position of joint for long hours is a sufficient factor that can lead to XXXXXXX strain or damage to these supportive structures.
One week has gone and you have tried sufficient measures also.
It is advisable that you should now get evaluated by an orthopedician regarding any damages and if required get imaging of the troubling knee.
I hope you will get well soon.
Follow-up: Have had severe pain in knee. Tried rest, ice packs and elevation. No improvement. Advise? 48 hours later
how long does it take to heal a sprain? My knee is slowly improving and I can now walk on it normally. It only hurts when I flex my knee going up steps, etc.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 35 hours later
Hi Effel,
Welcome back.
The pain and swelling of a sprain or a strain depends on the severity of the initial injury and can be judged only by local physical examination and the investigations that is why i had advised you to consult a local orthopedician as well because if any intervention is needed then the delay may hamper the recovery.
if you are feeling improvement then you may wait for some more time but if you find no further recovery then you must consult to a local orthopedician.
Stairs must be avoided in any case because they are uniformly bad for injured knee.
I hope the things would work out well.