Have had severe osteoarthritis in cervical spine. Got non traumatic T9 fracture. What is causing this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi I am a 40 yrd old female who recently sustained a non traumatic T9 fracture, from top end plate to bottom. I have severe osteoarthritis in my cervical spine. 12 months ago I had bone density test and this showed osteopenia only. What would be the cause of my thoracic fracture. Could osteoarthritis have casue this. If its not osteoporosis what else could it be? My cervical osteoarthritis was responsible for a C3/4 rupture 2 years ago and because of this I had an MRI. This MRI showed mild osteoarthritis in other vertebral junction but the recent CT scans show severe degeneration. Why would this progress so rapidly ? I understand the initial cervical arthritis could be so bad from violent head shaking I had from Tourettes but in this period of rapid degeneration I have not been doing this head shaking because of the C3/C4 rupture reducing mobility and also from being treated with botox .
Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The non traumatic T9 fracture is likely to be caused by osteopenia and reduced mineral density of bones due to senile osteoporosis.
The progression of the degenerative changes can be due to wrong posture, repeated stress, minor repeated traumas or idiopathic.
To reduce the progression of these degenerative changes, physiotherapy like Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.