Ask a Urologist   »  

Have had serious abdominal and colon surgery. Feeling thirsty and having frequent urination. How to get cured?

I am a 54 year old male who has had serious abdominal and colon surgery six months ago. I had colonostomy reversal and wound closure and I had a very large abdominal hernia for 2 years which was also reversed and closed. I have been getting better slowly and take a lot of medications. My problem is having to urinate every 90 minutes or so all day long and at night. I am not getting any rest at all what with having to 5 or more times per night. this has been going on for a few week now and it is not getting better and I am so tired. During the day I do drink a lot of water. About 6-8 32oz cups of water. I am thirsty and my mouth feels very dry all the time. Every trip is a full one and the urine is very clear. I can feel my bladder filling up quickly each time as well. I use to only have to go perhaps twice nightly. What has changed, is it something to worry abut, and is there some way I can correct this problem which is getting serious for me. Thank you for your advice!
Posted Thu, 11 Oct 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 50 minutes later

Thanks for your query to XXXXXXX
I WENT THROUGH your detailed history.
You could be having one of the three possibilities - benign enlargement of the prostate/ urinary tract infection/ overactive bladder.
Kindly try to prepare a bladder diary- measurement of fluid intake along with urine output charts for at-least 3 days to find out the fluid balance of the body.
Once done, your physician can examine you with the details and look for a possible cause. You need to undergo urine analysis, culture, ultrasound scan.
Try restricting fluid intake after 6 pm to see if the night time output becomes less -- to have a peaceful sleep.

Hope i answered your query. Kindly get back for doubts if any.