Have had scabs on back of ankle. Skin colour changed to dark purple. Could this be melanoma?

Hi Dr Batra,

I had a scab on the back of my ankle a few weeks ago and the scab came off but the area is a dark purple/red color. It has been 3 weeks and I thought it was going away but it looks to be a darker purple now. I also thought it was getting smaller but it may be getting bigger Could this be melanoma? It's flat, a bit smaller than an eraser and is dark purple. I had a skin check about 7 weeks ago but I'm afraid this was missed.
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 9 hours later
Dear patient
It seems you are suffering from post inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
After a trauma resulting in a scab, when the scab falls down dark pigmentation is a common phenomenon.
This shout subside very slowly over few weeks.
The treatment of such lesions involve mild topical steroids and at times hydroquinone preparations but only after consultation with a dermatologist.
If things don't settle down then only a skin biopsy can give more insights in the lesion.