Have had rib cage pain and itchiness. Had elevated liver enzymes. What could be the cause?

Oct 2013

I have had severe right upper rib cage pain for over a year. It started 3 months after I had my last child. For the past 3 days I have had severe pain on both sides & now itching all over. I've been to every dr and no one can figure out why or what us going on. I have had elevated liver enzymes & that's it on labs. In January my spleen was enlarged but went back to normal size within a month... I don't know what's going on but I need some answers or ideas.... I hate taking medication just to mask what the real issue is.
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Namala Bharadwaj 2 hours later
Brief Answer: History and lab data are needed . Detailed Answer: Hello dear XXXXX Thanks for your query at XXXXXXX I understand your concern. Pain right upper rib cage and itching indicate the liver pathology. Your lab reports are also supporting the clinical findings. I would be able to better interpret and address your concerns if you can provide the complete laboratory report data - all other liver function test report. It would also be better if you can answer some of my questions such as: - what was character of pain ? - is pain radiating to other parts? - any association with meals or food? - any problem during pregnancy? - any other medical and surgical history. I will await for complete details to give you my opinion. Regards.
Follow-up: Have had rib cage pain and itchiness. Had elevated liver enzymes. What could be the cause? 2 hours later
Ive had a lot of labs. Only once did they come back high. A month after they were high they became normal again. Pain is like pressure & throbbing. No sharp pain no tingling. Just pressure pain. It does not radiate to any other part. But when it is at its worst it hurts to breath. Nothing seems to be the tigger of worse or better. Its not associated with meals or food. Bowel movements are normal. There was no issue with pregnancy. I have had my galbladder removed, appendix remived (during that pregnancy), right ankle & left shoulder. Juat recently i had endometiriosis (sp) removed but ive had a lot of pain before that and after. I did have cortizone shots in my left side but that did make it worse... Thats all i know so far. They did an edonscopy(sp) and biopsy were normal .
Answered by Dr. Namala Bharadwaj 17 hours later
Brief Answer: repeat ultrasound and liver function test. Detailed Answer: Hello dear. I believe this pain under right rib cage that is throbbing in character is most likely due to liver pathology. It is very difficult to comment on what is causing the problem just based on clinical history. I would order a repeat ultrasound and liver function test to be doubly sure if liver is alright. Hope this helps. Regards