Have had psoriasis and swollen painful occipital lymph node. Getting headache. Any cure?

Hi I have had psoriasis since I was 8. I am now 25. For the last 6months+ I have had swollen painful occipital and retroauricular nodes that seem to be causing me headaches everyday. I wonder if the swollen nodes could be caused by psoriasis or just having an autoimmune problem in general. I should add that my neck constantly pops and when I do so it seems to relive the pain for a moment. What's going on with me?
I should also add I started my period when I was 8, around the same time my psorisis flare ups started and I have tracked when these lymph nodes are more swolen and painful and it seems to coordinate with my period week and ovulation week.
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
The swelling of lymph nodes is not a feature of psoriasis as such but it may be caused by a local infection either in the skin lesions of psoriasis if you have any or may be due to pharyngitis which is so common in the psoriasis patients.
If you have any such problem then get a complete blood counts and a CRP blood test and compare it with your baseline reports, please get examined by a local clinician, a course of antibiotics may be helpful if indicated.
Psoriasis is a chronic inflammatory disorder and is affected by hormonal changes of menstrual cycle.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!
Follow-up: Have had psoriasis and swollen painful occipital lymph node. Getting headache. Any cure? 1 hour later
In regards to the pharynges, I do not have a sore throat at all. I do have psoriasis lesions directly on top of the swollen nodes I am complaining about. I currently am uninsured and can not afford to see a dr, that is why I turned to this option. Since the lymph nodes are part of the immune system is it possible that due to the autoimmune issue I have could these nodes swell and be painful bc my Isystem is acting like I'm fighting an illness that is not really there? That is what autoimmune is correct? And is there any possibly nodes would swell due to stress or general anxiety or chronic fatigue? I have dealt with a lot of stress factors in the last two years that have me very stressed. I had a child in July of 2011 and seem to have had imbalance of hormones. I also was using an prosciption estrogen cream that I thought was for yeast infections that I got from my mothers restroom while visiting a couple years ago that I think may also be playing a roll in my imbalance of hormones. Could a hormonal imbalance effect those particular nodes? I know I'm asking a lot but I am very concerned and in a lot of pain. Do u have any other ideas of what I may be dealing with?
Also is it common to have these headaches that stem from these nodes? Lots of pressure behind my eye.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 13 minutes later
Welcome back to healthcare Magic!
You are absolutely right that your problem is autoimmune one but it is a focused disease on skin and joints and is not centered on lymph nodes.
But it is possible that if you have severe inflammatory lesions of the skin then the lymph nodes may enlarge.
It is also possible to have inflamed and knotty tissue due to the lesions and a false appearance of nodes.
Local vaginal cream would not cause that much hormone imbalance as to result in flare up.
Chronic fatigue syndrome is a possibility and can cause lymph node enlargement but it would be at other sites also in that case.
You need to concentrate on the base line management of the disease like mild tanning, local steroid creams and skin moisturisers to be applied regularly.
Wish you a great health!
Follow-up: Have had psoriasis and swollen painful occipital lymph node. Getting headache. Any cure? 17 minutes later
Thank you! Very informative! These chronic headaches and pain behind my eyes are normal with these nodes swelling?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 9 hours later
Welcome back to healthcare Magic!
These symptoms seem to be related to the activity of the disease, add the options advised in the previous answer. You can hasten the relief if you add OTC medication like Tab Ultracet twice a day for first 5 days to come.
Wish you a great health!