Ask a Urologist   »  

Have had prostate issue. Started pain while passing urine after catheter removal. Is this normal?

Urologist
Question
My father(73 years old) went a total knee replacement surgery 8 days back for both the knee.He has prostate issues prior to surgery and used to take DYNAPRES for that on a daily basis. While operating Doctors inserted urinary catheter for smooth flow of urine. Post removal of this catheter, he has painful irritation while passing and the frequency of urine passing during day time has reduced to 1 hr while in night , its even lower somewhere around 30 mins.He also complains of little control over his urinary flow.
Even though he is still taking URIMAX and disodium hydrogen citrate syrup, he has no relief. Urine tests has also been conducted but seems to be very normal.Doctors says may be his prostate problem has aggravated and it will take time before irritation lowers down.

My question is :-

1) Is it normal to have this kind of problem with people who had prior prostate issues?
2) Is it a matter of time when his irritation comes under control? or it needs some different medication or surgery to get him relief?
3) Seeing a urologist is what we are planning but apart from that, can you brief us what exactly is the problem or what these symptoms indicates?
Posted Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 23 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.

I have gone through your detailed history and try to answer as precise as possible and one by one.
1. Is it normal to have this kind of problem with people who had prior prostate issues?

Yes, of course. It is most probably related to the anesthesia, short bed rest and the catheter.

It is better to give antibiotics based on culture test of the urine. If the results are negative, then a course of urinary tract specific antibiotics are needed to get better in addition to URIMAX.

The answers to this question is in replies to questions 1 and 2.
Also, post catheter infection of the urinary tract is common.
It is a treatable condition and I would be happy to see his progress.

DR GS