Have had problem with manic depression. Most medicine have not helped or have side effects. Suggest?

Psychiatrist
Question
Have had an ongoing problem for years with manic depression. Most meds either don't work or cause extreme side effects. I am wondering if shock treatments are a viable option.
Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 46 minutes later

I have gone through your query in detail.

Manic depression is an old name of bipolar mood disorder. In this illnesses patients frequently have mood swings of mania or depression with inter episode normalcy. Shock therapy better know as electro convulsive therapy (ECT) is very useful in both the phases especially when medicatons fail or they cannot be used. Infact maintenance ECT is also advocated for inter episode period.

Further you may like to know that ECT is delivered only under anaesthesia and the patient may not remember anything about the event and it is a very safe procedure.

Hope I am able to help you with your concerns.
Thanks and regards

Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Follow-up: Have had problem with manic depression. Most medicine have not helped or have side effects. Suggest? 2 hours later
Is there a database of providers to further explore this option. I live in the center of a line between Denver, XXXXXXX and albquerque, salt lake city. the driving time is between six and 8 hours to any of them. not sure if there is anywhere closer to have this done. you input is greatly appreciated.

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 21 minutes later
Hello
I would like to inform you that I am from India and it will be difficult for me to help you with the database of providers that you want.
However I have advised my previous US Based health care magic clients to get in touch wih a GP who can then refer the patient to the required provider of ECT. I am not sure what occurs in US but in India we do give Opd based ECT where in you dont have to get admitted.
Hope I am of help to you. Thanks and regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy