Have had post menopausal spotting. Overweight and pelvic ultrasound showed endometrial thickness. Suggest?

Question
Hi, Ive had one incident of Post menopausal spotting. Im 45, overweight but otherwise in good health. I dont have diabetes and Im not on any HRT medicines. My Pelvic ultrasound says - Myometrium Normal, Endometrial thickness 5.78 mm, no adnexal mass, ovaries normal and the radiologist said no cysts/polyps present. Im still concerned, what should be the next step.
Posted Tue, 6 Aug 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later

Your endometrial thickness is on the higher end at 5.78 mm. The normal size in postmenopausal women is less than 4mm.

Rest of your report is normal.

The next steps that you should be doing are as follows:

- Check for repeat spotting, irregular bleeding for the next few months.

- Repeat the pelvic scan after 6 months and check for endometrial thickness. Accordingly, further management could be planned.

As of now, you do not need any surgical or medical treatment for the same.

Try to reduce a few kilos and maintain a healthy lifestyle.

I hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have more queries.

Take care!

Follow-up: Have had post menopausal spotting. Overweight and pelvic ultrasound showed endometrial thickness. Suggest? 21 hours later
Thank you.
What could be the possible reasons for endometrial thickness being more than the normal range.

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 24 minutes later

In your case, the possible reason can only be a change in your hormonal status to menopause that is temporarily causing this increase in size of the endometrium. You need not worry about the same now. It should stabilize to normal in a few months time.

The other causes for endometrial thickness being more than the normal range are endometrial hyperplasia, and infrequently endometrial carcinoma.

Please relax; there is nothing alarming in you now. Follow my earlier suggestions.

Take care!