Have had phlebitis in lower leg twice. Should I be concerned?

Apr 2014

I have had phlebitis in my lower leg twice in less than 6 months. Is there something else going on that I should be concerned about?
Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Generally it requires conservative treatment only. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX There are many causes of recurrent phlebitis in lower limbs. It is common inflammatory-thrombotic disorder of superficial veins.Common causes are infection,surgical intervention,obesity,varicose vein,various drugs,smoking,hypercoagulable states etc. There may be problems in deep veins of legs or it may also be due to abdominal pathology.There may be clot in deep veins of lower legs and it causes superficial phlebitis.Abdominal mass can also cause problem in venous drainage of lower limb and it may result to phlebitis. You need proper clinical examination and investigations. So,you need few investigations like routine hemogram,RBS,LFT,RFT,Lipid profile,Ultrasound of abdomen,Venous Doppler of lower limbs. You shouldn't worry and consult surgeon for your problem. Treatment depends upon clinical findings and investigation reports. Mostly cases are due to simple reasons and if doesn't involve deep veins then it requires conservative treatment only. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX