Have had pain on lower butt. Symptoms of sciatica. Why is my groin, right leg in pain? Is everything okay?

I have had some pain on my lower butt of my right leg for some time, kind of like symptoms of sciatica, (not diagnosed). The pain comes and goes. It comes sometimes when I seat long on the chairs typing and it radiates toward my lower calf.
Now I have hip pain and gets bad when I drive or seat on one place for long time. When I come out of the car my right leg gets cramped and I have pain on my groin and can’t walk normal, it relieves me if I continue to walk. I have started experiencing some mild strain to my right lower calf. I have experience the symptoms in the past and I just use ointment and patches. They help with relief.
I get relief by doing exercising like- bike, walking or squat exercises with the legs. I also experience some relief with the ointment. .
Posted Thu, 5 Jul 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 7 hours later

I have gone through the history provided by you. Pain in your right lower limb at different site could be due to intervertebral disc problem in lumbar region or due to neuropathy.

l suggest you to visit a nearest doctor for a medical examination to rule out any neurological deficit or any bone & joint problems which you might have. You may also have blood tests such as complete blood count, peripheral smear, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, blood sugar, urea, creatinine along with X-ray and computed tomography (CT) / Magnetic resonance Imaging (MRI) of spine done to rule out lumbar disc problems.

The aforementioned tests are essential to truly understand the cause. Treatment which could be either conservative or surgery can be determined based on the test reports. Most likely your doctor after evaluation will consider for physiotherapy and simple analgesics.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need more information.

Follow-up: Have had pain on lower butt. Symptoms of sciatica. Why is my groin, right leg in pain? Is everything okay? 5 hours later
Thanks for your response, but its a abit too professorial for me to understand.

What is intervertebral disc problem.

Is the symptoms periodical or seasonal. When I travel to a humid enviroment, I dont have this symptoms at all. Also it happens once in a while.

What is Neuropathy, what are the symptoms.

I will like to obtain proper education before I proceed to embark on the test that you suggest. Since I dont have insurance, I want to take the test that is absolutely necessary.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 8 hours later

Thanks for the interest in the subject and answer to your queries are as below:

What is intervertebral disc problem? Disc are like shock absorber in between the vertebrae (spine). Vertebrae are the bones which make up the spine. Commonly due to degeneration (deterioration) , they are displaced and press on adjoining nerves and cause pain.

Are the symptoms periodical or seasonal? These symptoms can be continuous as well as periodic. Uncommonly they may be related to weather and humidity.

What is Neuropathy, what are the symptoms? Neuropathy is disease of one or more of nerves. There are many causes e.g. diabetes, alcohol, nutritional, toxic and many more. Common symptoms are pain, numbness, weakness and thinness of muscle mass.

I agree with you that tests are to be done later on. First you must be examined by a doctor and decide about likely cause and based on that tests will be prescribed to you.

I am sure that answers are now in simple language and satisfy your queries.
If you have any more concerns, I would be happy to help.