Have had pain in lower abdomen, done with scan. Findings?

hi i have had pain in lower abdom right and left side so doctor said go for scan and the esults are as follows the pain is more to the left and is a sharping pain

retroverted uterus normal in size, and paenchymal texture endom mesures 9 mm in thickness uterus is tender to probe.
right ovary normal in size para ovarian cyst measuring 10mm x 12 mm
left ovary parenchma showing collopsing cyst irregular shape. 15mm x7mm

small quantity of free fluid seen in the cul de sac

no other positive finding

she asked me to get a preg test saying it wont be a bad idea and saying impression is of pid when i have one child and have been marriued for 13 years one sexula partner
Posted Fri, 4 Oct 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pelvic Inflammatory disease is first opinion

Detailed Answer:

Your query and the symptoms at this age reminds me of PID (Pelvic Inflammatory disease). This has a high possibility in a sexually active women. Did you have fever earlier to the pain?

The ovarian cysts could be the second reason that could have burst and fluid in cul de sac.

I agree with your doctor that I would order for pregnancy test and complete blood counts. Once the pregnancy is ruled out the actual therapy for PID is given. An empirical antibiotic therapy is given waiting for blood counts. Since the results would be on the next day if the counts are high I would continue the antibiotics. If not I would refer to a OBGYN for XXXXXXX examination.

Suppose the counts are high we need to monitor such patients on antibiotic therapy for three days to 4 days and see if the symptoms subside else a diagnostic laparascopy can be planned by the OBGYN.

Hope this gives you an idea how to proceed further.
Follow-up: Have had pain in lower abdomen, done with scan. Findings? 15 hours later
no I have had no fever, nor burning when I urine and smell of discharge is very normal.. no irregular smell.

can you explain how I have contracted pid if I have had the same partner and this pain has only started 3 days ago.

pregnancy test is negative but I will go and see a gyney today for a proper check

thank you very much
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
PID can happen with single partner

Detailed Answer:

It need not be multiple partners for PID. It can happen for any sexually active women with Chlamydia type bacteria; it can easily be treated and completely without damage to the genital organs. Early management is necessary.

Hope this answers.