Have had pain in knee. Noticed hard lump on knee. What could this lump be?

I used to cycle 20km/day until I started experiencing a lot of pain over the lateral side of my right knee. It took a long time for the pain to subside - I found it difficult to walk up & downstairs and sometimes when my knee was stuck in a flexed position i.e. whilst driving the pain was excrutiating. Now 2 years later the pain has subsided & I can run on the knee without pain however I am left with a hard/bony lump over the lateral aspect of the knee. Please could you let me know what you think this lump be? Thank you
Posted Thu, 18 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 2 hours later
Thanks for he query

I will be requesting some further information about the lump whether it is movable or fixed. it is warm or normal as compared to surrounding. any pain on pressing the lump? how are the veins over that area? have you ever had X-rays of that knee?? if yes, what were the findings?

Will be waiting for your response
Follow-up: Have had pain in knee. Noticed hard lump on knee. What could this lump be? 10 hours later
The feels bony & fixed. The area over the knee was initially warm but now 2 yrs later it is normal temperature. It has not grown in size. There feels as if there is some excess fluid around the area of the swelling.
The veins are normal - no different to the other side.
I have never had an x-ray of the knee.
I do not suffer from drenching sweats or night pain. A recent calcium level was normal.
It is not painful on presseing over the swollen area.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 57 minutes later
Thanks for the kind response

With the description you have provided, There doesn't seems any complication. The fluid collection is soft and it disappears within a week time. So its not the fluid. The lump most probably is the calcified soft tissue that have resulted after the inflammation. It is normal but if you still have some doubt you can have a plain x-ray of knee joint which will rule out and pathological mass.

If you still have some queries,feel free to ask

Follow-up: Have had pain in knee. Noticed hard lump on knee. What could this lump be? 3 hours later
Thank you very much for your help.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 4 hours later
you are always welcome

If you have in queries in future you can ask me directly on

take care