Have had pain in butt cheek. Noticed hard lump under skin. What should I do?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
I have had pain in my left butt cheek for over a month, never thought much of it, just felt it today and there is a lump under the skin and it is hard to sit on that side. What should I do?
Posted Thu, 1 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 48 minutes later
The possibilities are:
Sebaceous cyst: which can occur due to blockade of the duct of sebaceous gland on the skin of the buttock.
When that gets infected it can form abscess.
Lipoma: collection of fat tissue forming a lump under the skin.
Callus formation from underlying bone, it can appear as lump under the skin.
Infection of the subcutaneous tissue, muscles etc of the buttock can manifest as lump under the skin.
So you once consult a gynecologist or general surgeon and undergo a physical examination to note the actual characteristics of the lump and treatment can be taken accordingly.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.