Have had pacemaker and copy of the reports showed at times heart rate was very low. Underlying cause?

I am a 75 year old female RN.i have had a pacemaker for 17 years,and just had the battery changed.I just finished a month of Event Recorder for increased symptoms.In a-fib usually 60%.anyway,read in the copy of the report I received today that there were times when my heart rate was as low as 8,15,18 30s.I would assume my pacer is not working..will call my cardiologist tomorrow but would like your opinion.thank you
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Obviously, there is a problem related to the pacemaker / the lead may be broken, the pacing threshold is high, random component failure – and so on...

Rate is rather very may be counting the pulse / There may be pulse deficit when the volume is low; in A-fib, some baets may not cause a pulse ...

You need IMMEDIATE attention... talk to your doctor and/or go to Emergency

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Follow-up: Have had pacemaker and copy of the reports showed at times heart rate was very low. Underlying cause? 9 hours later
the bpm of 8 was during a non A-fib event according to the report.that particular bpm was during the noc-- I am calling my cardiologist this morning as soon as the office opens.thanks..that bpm is a little too close to A_Systole for me
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 25 minutes later

Such a slow rate is from Sick Sinus Syndrome...
Both the Sinus and A-V node are not generating appropriate impulse and the centre is further down in the ventricle. It is ominous, as you point out – asystole with cerebral insult are real threats.
Call your doctor NOW...