Have had ovarian cancer. Taking wolren. Ca125 increased from 17 to 460. Will it be cured?

my mum had overian cancer and was given the all clear this year.Now she has been told her bloods have gone from 17 to 460 she has ca125 she has been taking wolren for a blood clot.she has been taking vitiamins siberian ginseng XXXXXX hip,cats claw,barley grass,milk thistle,barberry root,wild yam, cramp bark,fennel,catnip and peppermint,she has now stopped it she only startedthem all again2 moths ago could any of these cause her blood to spike mixed with the wolfren? and if the cancer is back and she has it in the blood or bone can it be cured or does that mean its come back aggressive
Posted Fri, 19 Oct 2012 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 1 hour later
Thanks for discussing your concerns with us.
If you mean to say that her Ca125 has increased from 17 to 460 then this is definitely not a good sign as this test is a "tumor marker" & an increase is usually taken as an indicator of a relapsing disease ( in her case ovarian cancer).
However, Ca125 alone is not sufficient to say anything for certain especially when she is taking so many herbal products.
One thing is certain, she need to go back to her oncologist & get herself evaluated by clinical examination & CT/MRI etc. Only then, we can say anything about her current cancer status and future prognosis. Which of course will depend upon the stage of the disease.
If God forbid it is a recurrance of her ovarian cancer then prognosis is not usually good.
Hope I have given you the desired response. Please write back if you want to discuss this further.
Wish you best of luck.
Follow-up: Have had ovarian cancer. Taking wolren. Ca125 increased from 17 to 460. Will it be cured? 5 hours later
ok thankyou what if it has gone to her breast kidney liver chest can it be cured if it is a new cancer? the dr said when removing cancer sometimes little spores can flick out. upon doing a scan the dr couldnt find anything so now we are going to do bone test and ct scan with XXXXXX in the next couple of weeks. the dr has put my mum on tablets they use for mid life crisies change of life then start with the chemo tablets would it be a fast aggressive cancer is 460 really a fast growing cancer or a slow
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 11 hours later
A tumor that has spread to distant sites is classified as stage 4 & carries the worst prognosis. In cancer patients we talk about 5 years survival which is < 17% in stage 4 ovarian cancer.
As far as your mother's case is concerned, it is really good to know that they couldn't find anything on scanning. I wish all her remaining test also come back negative.
Ca125 levels alone cannot tell us anything about the severity of the cancer as these may be raised in a number of benign conditions as well.
So, follow your doctors advise & hope for the best.
Warm regards.