Have had numbness and tingling on face. MRI and blood work showed normal. What could be this?

Neurologist
Question
I have had numbness and tingling on the left side of my face near my eye and down to lip area for a year and a half on and off. I have gone to two neurologists and had an mri (w/o contrast in October 2011) that was normal. They say it could be migraine related. All blood work normal. What else could this be?
Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 10 hours later

These symptoms are suggestive of one of cranial nerves (maxillary branch of trigeminal nerve) and as per you no obvious cause has been detected. The reason for this is not clear to me also.

Additional information like it is continuous or intermittent, do you feel normal sensation to touch, and pin-prick or hot-cold sensation in this area, your blood sugar and nutritional status and any other systemic illness might help me in analysing it further.

Please do answer these queries to help me suggest you better.

Awaiting your response.

Pratap

Follow-up: Have had numbness and tingling on face. MRI and blood work showed normal. What could be this? 2 hours later
Intermittent. Comes and goes and can be gone for months then comes back. No pin prick or hot cold.Normal. Have had full blood workup and all normal. I am a vegetarian and take a vegetarian based pre natal viatamin. Not pregnant an have had no pregnancies.

Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 11 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

In intermittent numbness, your doctor may consider a trial with amitryptaline or carbamazepine.

Please discuss about this with your primary treating doctor.

Regards, XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Have had numbness and tingling on face. MRI and blood work showed normal. What could be this? 1 hour later
What is that for and what could be possible cause??

Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 7 hours later
Hi

As I wrote you earlier, it suggests involvement of one of cranial nerves (maxillary branch of trigeminal nerve). It is usually due to inflammation or demyelination of the nerve. However, exact reason for these cannot be contemplated.

Pratap