Have had normal menstruation. Started spotting like period with brown blood. What could be the cause?

I have had normal menstration for a while 7 days a month with heavy flow. I all of sudden starting having a spotting like period with brown blood instead of red and my period is usually on the 10th but every month it's the next day like the 11th and so on now I'm on the 22nd this month what could be causing that???
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 20 hours later

Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX

This might be related to Premenstrual spotting. However any abnormal menstrual bleeding during the reproductive age group could be pregnancy related. If you have been sexually active, it is always better to confirm it by home pregnancy test.

If pregnancy is not the case then some other conditions like thyroid abnormalities, cervicitis, pelvic inflamattory disease may be the reason. Kindly get evaluated for the same. If investigations are not conclusive, it is labelled as DUB(dysfunctional uterine bleeding). I usually prescribe combined oral contraceptive pills for few cycles to regularize the periods.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Please do not forget to accept it.

Wish you good health.
Dr Arif